Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ten Days in Asia


We are beginning a new continent study this year and the girls chose Asia. Liana has been interested in India for quite awhile, so I thought it was a good place to start. This morning at breakfast I asked her if she knew what countries border India. She immediately rattled off, "Nepal, Bangladesh, China, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka." She only forgot Pakistan. My nine-year-old has a map of Asia in her head because of a game I bought! I wrote about this game when I first got it, but now we are seeing the results of playing it for a couple of months. It was well worth the $20 I spent on it.

The girls love playing the game. The challenge is to chart a 10-day trip across Asia using ships through the Indian and Pacific Oceans, trains to bordering countries, or planes between like-colored countries. You don't have to know the geography because you just look at the game board while you play. The strategy is in placing the cards you draw. Arielle almost always wins. I just don't have the logical, thinking ahead type skills she has. (But it frustrates me that I can't beat my eleven-year-old!) Liana doesn't win the game often, but she likes it anyway. In the scope of things, she is a big winner because she has learned the map.

As I mentioned before, the company, Out of the Box Publishing, also makes 10 Days Across Europe, Africa and the USA. Maybe others. I highly recommend our game!

No comments: