Thursday, August 6, 2009

Distractions

In Chapter 6 Nehemiah's enemies try to sidetrack him and frustrate his work. They are afraid the Jews will become too powerful. They try to stop the wall-building. He responds:

"I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?"

I am going to post these words in our classroom. Not that I want to be mean to people, but to remind me to stay on task. I am so easily distracted! When I get a phone call during school time, I want to take that call! I want a break. I like to connect with friends. But I must take charge of the distractions that threaten to derail us on a daily basis.

My particular distractions: family members needing something, doctor appointments, errands to run, wash to be done, dinner to be prepared, other homeschool moms wanting to go somewhere, a friend's child that needs to be watched. These are all important, worthy distractions and it doesn't mean I say no to everything. But I need to be on guard and remember that for the most part, I cannot come down!

I get intensely frustrated by distractions. It makes me edgy and short with the girls. And it's my own fault for allowing it. Nehemiah says, "Their hands will drop from the work, and it will not be done. But now, O God, strengthen my hands." There are many kinds of homeschooling moms and I tend to be more rigid. If you have followed this blog, you know I have learned a lot of lessons along the way and I have eased up a lot! But the unschooling approach is definitely not for us. My house may be in total disarray but when it comes to my girls' education I am very organized. I have a plan, but my undoing lies in the implementation when other things crowd into our time. With God's help, I will proceed and accomplish our goals. I must remember this is God's work. Like Nehemiah I have the blessing of the King to go forth with the plan. But the enemy will always try to oppose it.

In this chapter, Nehemiah and his workers complete the wall. "And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, for they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God." Beyond my own home, every homeschool success story is a threat to those who oppose us. The failures in the public school system and these successes encourage others to begin this journey. However, we will always have spiritual enemies (and flesh and blood enemies) who try to discourage us, frighten us, demoralize us, intimidate us, and DISTRACT us. Arm yourselves!

No comments: