Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A New Start

In Nehemiah chapter 7, the wall is completed and the people move back into the city and build houses. Our summer is almost over and we have our new books lined up, notebooks and pencils purchased, and the school room organized. We're almost ready to begin a new school year.

In Chapter 8, "all the people gathered as one man into the square before the Water Gate. And they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses that the Lord had commanded Israel. So Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, both men and women and all who could understand what they heard, on the first day of the seventh month. And he read from it facing the square before the Water Gate from early morning until midday, in the presence of the men and women and those who could understand. And the ears of the people were attentive to the Book of the Law."

I know I need spiritual preparation before the school year begins. "All the people wept as they heard the words of the Law." Does reading God's words ever bring you to tears? Why is this? Because we are humbled by God's blessings? Because we know we have fallen short of his will? Nehemiah and Ezra and the Levites told the people, "Do not mourn or weep...do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

God's word confronts us with our failures. As I plan a new school year, I am reminded of the bad days from last year. I realize my joy, a contagious joy that should be passed to my children, comes from a restored relationship with God. Failures, yes. But forgiveness and a new beginning too. "And all the people went their way to eat and drink and to send portions and to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them." When our vision is clear, when we have understanding, when we know where we're going on this journey, we also can rejoice.

The next day all the people gathered again to study the words of the Law. They were hungry for more. I want to be hungry all year, desiring truth and understanding and guidance for my children as I teach them. Right now I'm refreshed, armed, proactive to head off problems. I'm strong,--I'm psyched! God's word has brought me joy and strengthened me.

No comments: