Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Flexibility

I am very rigid with school. I like schedules and order. I've been gently chided by my homeschooling friends to lighten up. And God is teaching me more and more about the importance of being flexible.

We had a great first week of school with everything and everyone right on time. We started at 9am, took a break at 10:30am, and had a 45 minute lunch at noon. We ended pretty much the same time every day and even bedtime was right on schedule.

Then Sunday night Liana couldn't get to sleep. She went to bed at 9 but was very restless. I checked on her an hour and a half later when I was going to bed, and she was crying silent tears. She occasionally has this problem because her overactive mind just won't shut down. I knew she would be out of sorts all the next day without enough sleep.

I asked myself, why do I homeschool anyway? Isn't it to provide an individual education to each of my daughters, teaching each one according to her individual talents and abilities and learning styles? I told Liana I would not be waking her up in the morning and to sleep as long as she needed. She immediately relaxed. I told her to play quietly with a toy until she was sleepy, which she did.

The next morning Liana woke up about a half hour later than usual. While the girls ate breakfast I read aloud the next chapter in a biography on Amy Carmichael. Then while Liana got ready for school, I did math with Arielle. We shuffled around our schedule that day and each day this week and nothing has been lost. Much was gained though--a more cooperative child.

Some would say that would never work for a child living in the "real world" of public school. And it wouldn't. Am I being indulgent, or am I extending grace and accommodating my child's needs?

For a long time my insistence on having school my way has clashed with Liana's way of learning and her need for more time to accomplish her work, more time to transition to new activities, more time for projects rather than worksheets. She just plain needs more time. Arielle and I are efficient types. Give us a task and we'll quickly do it and be done. Liana needs time to think things over and to apply her creative talents. I need to let go and let her be who she is. She has years to go before being thrust into the "real world" of adult schedules.

The girls had their school physicals today. Liana wanted to talk to the doctor about her sleep issues. After we explained about her getting to bed late but being able to start school later, our doctor said, "She's in the right family then, isn't she?" Yes, she is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Deb. This is a beautiful post and that sounds like a mindful doctor too. I know I will be facing the "Let go and let God" every day of my life. I like to know and be in charge of what happens next and I have 2 very different little girls as you do. Deladis asked me Friday if we could learn about frogs this week. Our curriculum has sun, moon, and stars as being next. My heart wanted to say sure, my plans said no. Tomorrow we start a week theme of frogs. :)

Deb said...

I allowed Liana to choose her science course last year and she chose birds. She wanted to start this year with insects and that is what we are doing. She is excited about it and is working without complaining. You are a wise mom to learn these lessons early on. I was a little thick-headed for a long time!