Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Challenged

Over the weekend I got a letter from the Director of Pupil Services of our school district. It stated, "questions or concerns have arisen as a result of our review. The issues raised are non-compliance with the Home Schooling Act...I would ask that you reflect upon your submission to the school district and provide an explanation where you may have had deficiencies."

Say WHAT? In June every year I turn in a huge portfolio chock full of my girls' work over the course of the year. This includes our daily schedule, every book they read or I read to them (an extensive list), textbooks used, pictures of special field trips or experiments, a subject by subject summary of what we did, standardized test scores, and a report from our evaluator who reports that an appropriate education is taking place. I am a stickler for detail. NOTHING is deficient. The letter hinted that my evaluator's report was brief. I know the law. It does not specify anything about the length of that report, only what it must include. And it included everything.

Each year we must meet with an evaluator, previously approved by the district, who goes over this huge portfolio, reviews the work, and interviews the child. She then writes a report for the district. Our evaluator has been doing this service for many years and for many districts in several counties. Even more amazing, I have used her reports in previous years with our district, without any word from anybody. The law has not changed, so what has?

I couldn't call anyone since it was a Saturday. But I surely let my anger distract me over our beautiful fall weekend. I don't need to "reflect on" anything. I know exactly what is in the girls' portfolios. I already know I prepare above and beyond what is required. If any school official actually bothered to look over the work, they would know my daughters are receiving a great education. And isn't that the whole purpose of all this paperwork and evaluation and reviews?

Finally, I remembered the study of Nehemiah I did over the summer. Wasn't I warned that the enemy would try to defeat and discourage and destroy God's good work? "And they plotted together to come and fight against us and to cause confusion..." Yes, confusion. I am confused. I don't know what is going on.

When the enemy tried to get Nehemiah to stop building, he said, "I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?" I have spent way too much mental energy on this. I let it fill my thoughts as I prepared the girls' lessons this weekend. I will call the district on Monday morning and let it be. I also realized that just maybe when I put together the portfolios at the end of the year that I am being boastful, showing off what my daughters have done. Am I on some level trying to perform for the school personnel so they will respect my work as a teacher? God forbid! What a repugnant thought!

Those who review the portfolios are trying to find fault, not applaud my effort. I will never have their respect. I need to put this matter to rest and get on with teaching my daughters.

No comments: