Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Saga Continues

Early Monday morning I left a message for the Director of Pupil Services. She never returned my call (and this is now Thursday night). Later on Monday her secretary called, not knowing I had already contacted their office. She was just calling to say the wrong date was on the letter, but new letters were coming out. So I asked her what the problem is with the portfolios. She said the evaluator needed to "write more things about the child." More "things"? What things? I told her anything more goes beyond what the law requires. She admitted she doesn't know about the homeschool law. I told her if I need to pay my evaluator to do more work, I need to know exactly what the district wants. She did not know.

Later in the day the secretary called again. She said, "Don't do anything right now. We're trying to contact our portfolio evaluator. She's not in the district." Who is this portfolio evaluator? The superintendent of our local school district is the only one who is supposed to review our child's portfolio. I think the person non-compliant with the law is right there in their office. When the letter asked me to reflect where my portfolios were deficient, it was not because they were trying to make me guess what went wrong, but that they didn't know what was wrong! Some elusive person with all the power is calling the shots, and the rest of us, including that clueless secretary, are jumping through hoops.

Yesterday I received a new, revised letter with the correct date on it. I called my evaluator to ask for a longer narrative report on our school work to make the district happy. I wanted to put this all behind me and move on. She was going to re-charge me the entire fee that I paid in June! It was not cheap. She said I should use that money instead to join HSLDA, our legal advocate group. So I did. An attorney already contacted me. We'll see how this goes.

With the political climate in this country right now, I think we all need to stand up for our rights when it comes to our families. If we don't, we might be surprised to find we have none.

No comments: