Friday, November 16, 2007

Rare Moment


"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
I Corinthians 15:58.

Lord, if you have called us to homeschool, then it is your work. Help us to be diligent and steadfast, never giving up even when it is a struggle to get through the day and we do not see the fruit immediately. You promised a harvest in your own time. Help us to teach our children today.

This morning before school Arielle was reading a story to Liana. This never happens! Even though we needed to start lessons, I let them continue. We have all Arielle's old picture books on shelves in my sewing room. When she was little I bought her every adoption book I could find and every book on China written for children. She loved books. Family members contributed too until she amassed quite a collection. Liana never had so many books. She wouldn't sit still long enough to hear a story. But now that she is older, she has discovered all these wonderful books. I didn't want to interrupt this rare moment--sister bonding and also Arielle practicing reading aloud and Liana listening!

I used to be frustrated with Arielle when she chose to read simplistic books well below her reading level. She is an excellent reader and I felt she needed to be challenged. But someone reminded me that adults also choose "fluff" to read when we want to relax and just enjoy a story. Think beach books. At other times we want a book with deeper meaning and of better literary quality. Occasionally we are ready to tackle a difficult book. Kids are no different. I assign enough challenging books for Arielle and I need to allow her to read whatever she desires for fun. (I'm not talking content here! Subject matter is certainly screened.)

What's cooking tonight...

Barbeque Potato Wedges
4 baking potatoes sliced in wedges lengthwise
seasoning
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1 cup grated cheese

Line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange potatoes and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice--salt and pepper, seasoned salt, spicy seasonings, etc. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft inside and browned. Brown turkey, add sauce and cook until hot. Top potatoes with meat and then add cheese. Bake another 5 minutes.

No comments: