Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Clear-minded

"Therefore be clear-minded, and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins."
I Peter 4:7, 8

Lord help me to be focused today, my brain not muddled with distractions. Let my deep love for my daughters be evident in the way I interact with them and teach them. Help my girls learn to show love to each other.

Last night the girls were best friends and Liana slept in Arielle's room. This morning, however, they were angrily shouting at each other, even as we settled down to do our Bible lesson. But the discipline of reading and then praying settled them down and we were able to get serious about school.

Some days school work takes a long, long time when Liana can't focus. Typical scenario: I ask her a question. I suppose she is thinking about it and deciding on her answer so I wait, but she doesn't say a word. I realize she never heard the question even though she is directly in front of me looking at my face as I ask it. So I ask again. No response. Then she seems to wake up and says, "What?" I ask again. Then she answers. We go through this routine many, many times in our school day. How could she learn in a classroom setting with 20 or so other kids? The teacher would never know Liana was lost to the conversation. Sometimes I don't know when she's gone either, but I don't proceed with the lesson until Liana is back.

What's cooking tonight...

Beef in Potato Shells

3 large baking potatoes

1 T. melted butter

1 pound ground turkey

16 oz. diced tomatoes, drained

1 envelope taco seasoning

1/2 cup shredded cheese

1/3 cup sour cream

2 green onions, sliced

Bake potatoes, then cut into halves lengthwise. Scoop out the potato leaving a 1/4 inch shell. Save potato to use later. Brush the inside of the shell with melted butter and place on baking sheet. Bake at 475 for about 10 minutes until browned.

While potato shells are baking, brown turkey. Stir in tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon meat mixture into shells and sprinkle with cheese. Put back into oven just long enough to melt cheese. Top with sour cream and green onions.

No comments: