Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fighting Words

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:6.

Lord, help me to guard my tongue today. I tend to rise up quickly in anger when anyone threatens my daughters' sweet innocence. Help me to confront as needed, but in a godly manner.

Last night during games at Awanas my step-daughter, Marissa, was talking to Liana. Another girl asked Liana who Marissa was. Liana said, "My sister." The girl responded, "No, she isn't! You look nothing alike." Liana insisted, yes, she was her sister. Then the girl said, "Oh, you were adopted because you're Chinese. They kill babies in China." Although I was very upset about this comment, it didn't seem to phase Liana. Later she told me this girl was saying "crazy things."

I realize I need to address issues like this because my girls won't necessarily tell me about hurtful words directed at them. Liana didn't relate this story to me until I asked her after Marissa told me about it. I need to arm my daughters with words to say when people ask questions that are none of their business or when thoughtless comments are made.

We had a long chat about this before school today. From our conversation I realize Arielle has already heard plenty of stupid words. She told me her best response is, "SO?" She said no one knows what else to say after that. We talked about my best answer to nosy questions is, "Why do you ask?" I've never had anyone respond honestly to that.

What's cooking tonight...
Chicken and Cavatelli
boneless chicken breasts, diced
3 cloves chopped garlic
3 cups chicken broth
16 oz. frozen cavatelli
1 pkg. baby spinach
freshly grated Parmesan
Brown garlic for 30 seconds in a little oil in large skillet. Remove. Brown chicken. Add the garlic back into the pan along with the broth, pasta and spinach on top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with cheese on top.

No comments: