Monday, December 3, 2007

Small Victory

"Do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4.

Lord, I pray my attitude toward my children today will encourage them to succeed and lighten their day so their schoolwork will not seem a burden to them. When the load is heavy and I expect perfection, they become exasperated, frustrated and angry. You have admonished me not to allow this to happen. Remind me of your words today.

With the approaching holiday the girls are having trouble settling down to work, and frankly, I am too. I can think of a hundred things I need to get done, but instead we are plodding along in our little classroom.

We had an amazing thing happen after the Thanksgiving holiday. Liana ended a bad week, complaining about every little thing she had to do. Then we had the break. When we started up again, I realized something had happened in her brain. All the loose ends and scattered ideas seemed to take root and sort themselves out. She knew her math facts! I remember that this happened to Arielle before too when she was little. I would teach her a concept, let it go for a few days and she would know it better than if I'd hammered her with it every day. So Liana for the very first time completed 12 math problems in 1 minute! She was so proud of herself. I was very proud of her too.

What's Cooking Tonight...
Three Bean Soup
1# ground turkey (or beef), browned
8 cups water or chicken broth
1- 8oz. can tomato sauce
2- 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can white beans
1 pkg. frozen corn
1/2 bag frozen pepper strips
bag of baby carrots
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
3/4 tsp. thyme leaves
Add all ingredients to a big pot and simmer about 45 minutes. Lots of ingredients, but so easy just opening cans and packages! Can be served with rice or noodles.
This recipe is from my friend Connie. She and her husband invited us over for a simple dinner and movie night on a cold, rainy night. Arielle had her first root beer float and loved it!

No comments: