Monday, June 8, 2009

Finishing Up

Three more days. "How much longer?" Liana asks continually. According to state law, we have to complete our 180 days, but besides that, we need to wrap up a few things before taking a summer break from school.

Liana finished her study of bats but never finished the lapbook she started. In May I bought a social studies series called Around the World in 180 Days and it looked so interesting I decided to do a short unit before school ended. We chose Australia. The girls (and I) have learned so much about this fascinating continent. Liana wants to visit Uluru someday, after her tour of India. We left our study of the Civil War hanging but I think we found a good stopping point and will continue that in the fall.

Arielle worked very diligently this year and completed Abeka's Language Arts for 6th grade. She will take her final science test on electricity today. She found out a friend of mine who homeschools her children plans to continue their school work one morning a week throughout the summer. Arielle asked if we could do that too. The girls both like Teaching Textbooks, so it will be an easy way to keep up their math skills by doing those lessons. Liana spent the year memorizing the multiplication tables and it would be such a loss to let them go for three months. And of course, there is reading. I couldn't stop Arielle from reading if I wanted to, but Liana will need a little prompting.

With every day revolving around school, I always feel a little lost when the year ends. There are plenty of activities ahead and there is always my house that needs attention after nine months of neglect. But it's a shock to wake up to a day without a schedule.

1 comment:

Deb said...

In TX we don't have to "school" any certain number of days, but I require my own children to finish the courses they started, then they're finished until August. I have a feeling one of mine won't be getting much of a summer break!