Monday, June 29, 2009

Australia Lapbook


We finished our unit on Australia. School was officially over but I told the girls it would be nice if we did a little summary of the first continent we studied since we will be doing all the rest of them next year. Then they would have something to look back on to review and compare. Both girls willingly spent an entire evening cutting out pictures and designing lapbooks. Liana wanted no help from me and no suggestions from anyone on how to plan it or lay it out. While they worked, I played around with youtube and found some Australian songs to add to the atmosphere. They especially liked "Waltzing Matilda." Arielle didn't finish hers, but I have included pictures of Liana's book.

At the homeschool conference I found a great game. I hesitated buying it because it was $20 and what if it wasn't any good? But it is good! We played it several times over the weekend. The game is called "10 Days in Asia." The gameboard is a map of Asia! You don't need to know Asian geography to play it, but you will learn it while you play without even noticing. It is a good thinking game to get your brain sparked up. The company also makes "10 Days in Europe" and "10 Days in Africa" and also one for the United States. We want them all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The lapbooks are great -- so detailed. I'd heard of those 10 Days games. They're good, huh? My wishlist keeps growing and growing! :-)