Thursday, November 12, 2009

A New Routine


Kids are so adaptable. We are making do with our new routine for school. This has been another great learning experience for me in letting go of my preconceived ideas of what school should be and look like. The girls are still learning despite our change of circumstances.

First of all, we've changed bedtime! I never thought I would do that, but since it wasn't working for Liana, we decided to do things differently. I kept thinking about what our doctor said, that Liana might just have a different inner clock, that she might be what we call a night owl. So bedtime is now 10pm. That's a little late for me, but miraculously, it has been working fine and Liana's sleep issues seem to have disappeared. She wakes up cheerfully on her own around 8am, so I know she is getting plenty of sleep. Problem solved!

We still begin school at 9am. That way we can get in all the core subjects before Fred calls us to pick him up from school. The girls certainly don't like the long ride, but we just got The Secret Garden on audiotape and all of us are enjoying this beautiful story. The girls have read abridged versions before, but to hear the original has been a joy.

By the time we get back home, maybe run errands on the way and then eat lunch, it is very hard to go back to school! But having language arts and math done, I feel we can do projects or reading in a relaxed way. We're almost finished with our study of the Civil War and I suggested they make a timeline to tie it all together. Arielle readily started to work on hers. Liana groaned, "Why can't I make a Civil War lapbook instead?" Well, that's fine with me. She is working on one for her insect study, so I didn't think she wanted to start a new one. We looked at one on-line: http://www.jimmiescollage.com/ Jimmie has great homeschooling resources! Her daughter's lapbook provided inspiration for Liana, but she wanted to do it her own way and set to work.

The girls spent about two hours on their projects. It was way beyond what I required of them that day. Arielle finished her timeline. It is so large I could only show a portion of it in one picture, and her small, precise handwriting doesn't show up well in a photo. Liana has more plans for her lapbook. I will post pictures of that when she is done.

No comments: