Thursday, February 5, 2009

CAT Day

My girls were supposed to take the California Achievement Test with the homeschool co-op at our church. But they were both sick with high fevers that day--after all our hard work in preparing them! It was very discouraging. But why do I get so stressed over things like this? God always has a better plan. Since they couldn't be tested with the group, my friend came over today to test them. They were in their familiar home with a woman they know. It took away all their apprehension and I'm sure they did well.

My friend has two children she homeschools--her 14-year-old boy, recently adopted from Russia, and her 8-year-old daughter who is Liana's best friend. She put her kids in the car and drove halfway to my house. I put my kids in the car and met her at the halfway point. We then switched kids and went to each other's homes. I supervised her children in their school work and she administered the test to my children. When my girls finished, I drove her kids back to my house and we all had lunch together. Mom swap! I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with her children. It was fun getting to know her son Jacob a little better. I found out he has a great sense of humor! He was very proud of the two math books he has already completed and wanted to show me his work. And little Julia was so eager to share her lessons with me. We read some books together and did an oral spelling quiz. It turned out to be quite a pleasant day--the Big Test Day I had dreaded for so long!

No comments: