Thursday, September 30, 2010

Banning Books

Choosing good books for my children and restricting others is always challenging as a homeschooling parent. I frequently read Jimmie's blog for her interesting stories about China and her great advice on teaching. "Banned Books Week" is her very informative post on books for kids. Check it out.

http://jimmiescollage.com/

Arielle reads so much that there would be no way to pre-read her books and censor the ones I didn't like. We talk about books a lot and we read together a lot and that brings up many topics to discuss. I've fed her a diet of good books from the time she was a baby and she is very discriminating when it comes to reading books that are just plain not good literature.

Together we have been reading Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi. It was a Newberry Medal book, so I figured there must be some reason it won that distinction. The language in this book is at times disturbing and it is full of violence. As I read it to Liana, there were a couple of times I edited as I read. But the message behind the book is worth talking about and kids learn a lot about the Middle Ages in England. Arielle has gone on to read the two sequels to this book.

Sometimes we used the school reading lists to find good literature. But moms need to have a discerning eye. I ask myself why this particular book is on the list. Public schools have their own agenda and message they want to get out. Not all books on their lists are worth reading.

No comments: