Saturday, April 25, 2009

New Friends

Arielle used to attend a homeschool co-op at our church, but our church is not close to our house. The morning drive during rush hour became just too stressful. We left the co-op and the girls joined Awanas instead for their social time. A co-op should be educational as well as a social outlet, but I felt I could provide the academics at home. Up to this point I really have not needed help teaching my girls. But I realize their needs change as they grow older. My friend Connie who also homeschools lives very close, but otherwise, the girls and I are somewhat isolated from any other homeschool families. Not isolated! But we haven't mingled much with other families like ours. People always seem to be so concerned about that "s" word--socialization. My girls are quite socialized! Anyway, things have changed.

Connie called to tell me a group of moms were trying to connect with other homeschooling families and would I like to join them? Some of the families had recently moved here and were trying to find friends for their children and some support for themselves. So last week we all had lunch together. This kind, generous woman opened her home to all these moms and kids. They all live within a few miles of here. I never knew. We are not alone! And best of all, there were some girls Arielle's age. We moms discussed our state's laws and the required evaluations and portfolios that will soon be due. We talked about books our kids love and textbooks we use and like. We planned possible field trips and considered interesting co-ops in the area. It was very encouraging to find like-minded women. My girls had so much fun with their new friends and we all look forward to seeing each other again soon.

No comments: